Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Active D-Lighting... again, sorry!

mdallie

Novi, US
238 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Active D-Lighting... again, sorry!"

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011
Tue 01-Jan-13 09:49 PM

Well, I dug out my test from early 2011. I shot RAW + JPEG, but I took the JPEGs right out of the camera and posted them on my smugmug site here: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/27356107_7m9bqC

I do want to say that upon reflection, this wasn't the ideally lit situation in which to test in that the shadows aren't as pronounced as I remembered them; however, the results are pretty clear. The shadow sections of the picture brighten up when Active D-Lighting is on. Personally, I like it; however, as with all things photographic, it is a matter of personal preference. However, to categorically say it doesn't have any impact without Nikon software, or that it is detrimental without Nikon software, could be misleading.

The pictures are captioned with the Active D-Lighting setting. While I shot this picture at all of the Active D-Lighting settings, I only uploaded off, High, and auto settings.

I should also add I shot these with the camera set at Aperture Priority (they all came out to f4 at 1/60), ISO 6400, SB-800 flash (which did fire). The camera was on a tripod and from shot to shot, I only changed the ADL setting. EXIF data confirms that all of the other exposure settings remained the same. This was an indoor, museum setting so ambient lighting did not change during my shoot.

Mike

This is a hot, active topic! Active D-Lighting... again, sorry! [View all] , MasterDabber , Wed 26-Dec-12 01:18 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Active D-Lighting... again, sorry!