Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Randon EC +/- Values Appearing

Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US
762 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Randon EC +/- Values Appearing"

Bravozulu Registered since 04th Jun 2012
Mon 24-Dec-12 06:02 PM | edited Mon 24-Dec-12 07:10 PM by Bravozulu

I checked everything on my camera, and you guys were right. What I need is that Hoodman eyecup of the Nikon D-19 viewfinder cup. Being 70, I can barely see anything in the viewfinder in bright light.

Though I did look at the Control Panel yesterday for EC correction I didn't see the icon. In a dark room indoors, the Viewfinder clearly showed EC. Gee, 8 months owning the D7000 and I'm still in Kindergarten. Oh, and I never use Easy ISO.

I don't do any PP. My old Mac won't run the software, but next month I'm getting the new iMac and will start out using PhotoMechanic and Capture NX2. I shoot both Raw and Jpeg. So possibly I might gain from having Lightroom.

About the image itself. Yes, it did gain something from having -1 EV cranked in. But my displeasure with it was in knowing it was a sparkling, clear day. So probably the only thing that would have helped is a graduated ND filter (I have one) or a polarizer to darken the sky.

I realize that I have not yet acquired the skillsets to fully manage the D7000. I come from an aviation background. And I retired just as the computerized cockpits were entering our fleet. Older pilots were faced with a big hurdle. In the old 747 cockpit, there were about 200 instruments distributed on about 5 panels, and so your eye would gravitate to a particular location to check a setting.

The new 'glass cockpit" planes compressed all that information onto three flat video screens. You would scroll the screens through various views to give you Navigation, Hydraulics, Engine settings, Electrical. So the information was sequential, and condensed — compressed, really — instead of being fixed in a dedicated location. The D7000 throws a lot of icons/symbols into a tiny area. And so I miss a lot of cues.

This week I'll get that viewfinder hood so I can see what's going on under the hood. I learned a lot from this thread and I thank you for your patience.
Here's a few more images from that same sequence. Malibu appears along a 20-mile stretch where the mountains descend into the sea. Buildings are the business district of Santa Monica.

Click on image to view larger version

Gary
Santa Monica, Calif.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Randon EC +/- Values Appearing [View all] , Bravozulu , Sun 23-Dec-12 05:20 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Randon EC +/- Values Appearing