Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Long Exposure Noise Reduction Question

blw

Richmond, US
28713 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction Question"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sat 15-Dec-12 01:22 PM

High ISO NR is a traditional noise reduction technique that looks for random pixels. Long Exposure Noise Reduction is a dark frame subtraction method and is entirely unrelated.

Regarding dark frame subtraction, here's a sample file that illustrates what we're trying to avoid:

Click on image to view larger version

The pinkish stuff along the right hand side of the frame is thermal noise, and it's not supposed to be there. This particular frame is from a D2h at 30 seconds, perhaps more pertinently at about 15F - from my LR record it's clearly apparent that we were at this location for at least two hours before this shot, and I certainly remember being cold.

If I had been using LENR, the second exposure would have been with the shutter closed (that's why putting the lens cap on has no effect!) and the resulting frame should in theory have been all black. But it wouldn't be, since all this pink stuff would have been in it. So the camera can then compute that anything not black shouldn't have been in the previous frame, and it can remove it.
Attachment#1 (jpg file)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic Long Exposure Noise Reduction Question [View all] , mvlow1974 , Tue 11-Dec-12 01:25 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction Question