Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
GeorgCantor

Potomac, US
138 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: noise, upgrade?"

GeorgCantor Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Dec 2012
Thu 27-Dec-12 10:46 PM

Hi! I'm back.

I am looking for clarification of your statement:

"A better choice for focus assitance would be to use an SB series CLS compatible speed-light, so to commander mode, so its much better patterned near IR AF assist light is engaged."

I just got through an extesive dialog with very patient & helpful Gray-star on this forum, re the "mechanics" of using the SB-600 mounted on the D7000, and why I need to set the camera to AF mode S (as you did say), and how AF area mode is irrelevant in that case.

As to the quoted language:

I have an SB-600, as i said. I believe it is "CLS compatible" (accordidng to the D7000 manual, p 225):

(If the SB-600 on mounted on the D7000, the built-in flash settiungs don't matter, I am told). Accoridng to p. 225: If the SB-600 is off the camera, set the built-in flash to commander mode; the built-in flash will emit only "monitor pre-flashes".

So, I assume that you mean that the on-camera flash, not the (remote SB-600) is set to commander mode.

But the, which is the "much better patttern IR assist lighht" to which you refer? On the cmaera, or on the remote SB-600. If on the SB-600, why is this better when the SB-600 is remote than remote than when the the SB-600 is mounted on the camera?

Thanks again.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! noise, upgrade? [View all] , GeorgCantor Silver Member , Mon 10-Dec-12 12:41 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: noise, upgrade?