Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
GeorgCantor

Potomac, US
138 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: noise, upgrade?"

GeorgCantor Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Dec 2012
Wed 12-Dec-12 05:09 AM

Back to Stan

Issues about stage lighting

(I know, I need to attach samples.)

I just looked at my "proofs" (just on this monitor --- Eizo Flexscan L578, which has a direct setting to sRGB), no prints). There are (at least) two mistakes: (1) saturation was set +2 (reading too much Ken Rockwell) , and (2) the "Save warm colors" WB was ON (I had never done that before, and was hoping that I would not get too much warmth. Was that wrong! Other than that, the picture control was neutral. The result is a bunch of flaming red pictures (except the blue ones). Joke's on me

BUT: I thought, perhaps, there was something wrong with the camera. With the same settings, I took over a dozen shots of woodsmen working in the forest next to my house in the late afternoon winter sun, and the picture looks quite normal for exposure and sharpness.(I'll get around to posting it.) The stage lighting, on the other hand, is not only flamingly hot, but it appears to me that it tends to overexpose. As I said, I kept the shutter speed at 1/200, and varied the ISO, so that the camera set the aperture (of course), but I did not see the histogram flooding at all, and yet that's what the proofs look like. (On the same computer that shows the normal outdoor winter scene.)

Also, those "moonlight" scenes on stage that looked so dim to me -- don't look dim at all in the proofs.

The metering was set on SPOT, because I wanted to expose for the featured dancer (and because there is usually a large dark area which is the front wall of the stage, which I did not want to bias the meter).

What do I need to know about stage lighting & the D7000 that I don't know? (I had no trouble with my Leica & Tri-X in the '60s) I'm sure that's a lot -- but how about a hint? -- other than to reduce saturation in the camera. That's obvious.

Perhaps there was also glare? The images don't look sharp, even though I had accidentally left sharpening to + 7 (another Rockwellism)(but same as the outdoor shot.) So this is strange too. I don't think it is motion blur or hand-held blur -- generally I am smoothly tracking the action.. I had thought I might have an inherently soft lens (Nikon 35 mm f/1.8) But the brush in the forest looks reasonably sharp.

I'd think there was something wrong with the lens or the camera, but that outdoor shot was shot within a few days of the ballet, and looks quite normal, as I said.

What is there about that tungsten stage lighting that leads the camera to (apparently) overexpose? Or am I misled by the oversaturation? Is that the main thing? Set saturation to a negative value?

(I'll understand if you withhold comments until I post some images.)

Looking at these shots, I see that the elevation standing on the orchestra pit cover in front of the stage is adequate to show the feet. I don't need a ladder.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! noise, upgrade? [View all] , GeorgCantor Silver Member , Mon 10-Dec-12 12:41 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: noise, upgrade?