Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
GeorgCantor

Potomac, US
138 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"noise, upgrade?"

GeorgCantor Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Dec 2012
Mon 10-Dec-12 01:41 AM

Hello everyone.

Here is is an inquiry from a newbie.

I have a D7000, (and a D90). I use the D7000 for theater work (ballet): low light and motion. I need to keep the speed at 1/200 because of the motion. The light is very variable from scene to scene: in luminance and in balance. I have no control over that. I try to keep the ISO as low as possible to avoids noise, but to avoid the LO warning, I need to go as high as ISO = HI 1.0. This yields noise in even moderate cropping. (I know about the Hi-ISO noise reduction.

so the issues are:

(1) any suggestions on technique?
(2) any suggestion on post-processing? Use DxO? Use Noise Ninja? Other?
(3) if upgrading: since I on am on an amateur's budget: D600?

NOW, i know that this is the Nikonian forum, so I might be sticking my head in the lion's mouth, but: D600 vs. Canon 6D?

On the latter point, I have seen posts about DPR being biased toward Canon. But when I look at what appear to be the DPR hi-ISO test images, the MkIII (so i assume the 6D -- although no test yet on DPR) is more contrasty and slightly sharper than the D600 (more so, for the D7000) at every ISO setting -- independently of the noise. ((On with hi-ISO noise reduction turned off, the noise levels seem aurprisingly similar among the MKIII, the D700 and the D7000 -- the issue is contrast and sharpness. This is true in RAW and JPEG, although the Nikon JPEGs are particularly soft, relative to the MkIII (I thought I would stay away from the DPR commentary, but on this point, DPR says that this is a characteristic of Nikons.) If the issue is sharpness and contrast, does this become a post-processing issue?

(4) I also read that very warm incandescent light makes noise in digital cameras generally. i experience a lot of this with the stage lighting. Does fiddling with the white balance to reduce sensitivity to red help? Or do I misunderstand how the white balance works? I.e., that the red input is already on the sensor, and the white balance only controls the amplification of the red channel?

Thank you all.

This is a hot, active topic! noise, upgrade? [View all] , GeorgCantor Silver Member , Mon 10-Dec-12 12:41 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: noise, upgrade?