Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

metering multiple areas without moving focus question

Tucsonmr2

AU
43 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: metering multiple areas without moving focus question"

Tucsonmr2 Registered since 08th Nov 2012
Thu 13-Dec-12 04:25 AM

Thanks once again mate for your help its very much appreciated.

Some more question if you don’t mind
When metering for the highs, what metering type do I use, im guessing I have to use spot or centre weight meter type.
I will be using view nx for converting and editing

Also I just found something on the camera in relation to what I was asking before (not moving the focus point permanently(camera on tripod) and still being able to meter off various areas on the frame)
I worked out that just pointing the focus point to where I want to meter is enough for the camera to meter the area (I previously thought I had to press the shutter release half way for the meter to work)
Also worked out that by changing the function setting on the AE-L, AF-L to AE-L (hold) I can move the focus point to the dark area then meter hold, then use the OK button to set the focus point back to middle, autofocus again (but im guessing a manual focus will achieve a better result so that depth of field doesn’t accidently get changed) take the shot then meter for brighter areas on the scene in the same way and repeat until I have a few different metered exposures of the same scene then combine the pictures in photoshop or something likewise..
I know it’s a long winded way to do things but that’s what I just found out lol
Im guessing theres easier ways to do this and one of them is to use the matrix metering mode. And another to use the bracketing feature
I will try a few different methods and see which ones come out best..

Im buying some ND filters to take with me as a backup just in case (just some cheap ones for now to practice)

Cheers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80080326@N04

A general, generic topic metering multiple areas without moving focus question [View all] , Tucsonmr2 , Sun 09-Dec-12 10:53 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: metering multiple areas without moving focus questi...