Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Wed 28-Nov-12 05:28 AM

It is not bad stopped down in the middle range but there is obvious weakness at FL's greater than 130mm and is pretty mediocre at 200mm wide open. A wide prime, any of them would run circles around the wide end of a 18-200 in terms of distortion, resolving power, light sensitivity, color and contrast. The 10-20 is a very popular lens at 18mm cleanly outperforms the 18-200 but note that it is not great for architecture due to complex distortion. It is probably the most popular landscape lens sold. The type of distortion it exhibits is not a problem for landscapes, only straight lines that run in both horizontal and vertical axis's, like a building. You would notice it before the rest of us since you are working with a view camera what has the ability to shift and tilt the focal plane to correct for wide angle distortion when shooting a subject below or above the center line. All wide angle lenses on DSLRs pose this problem to some degree, which is why PC lenses were developed. For me, my widest quality prime is the 24 1.4 so I am in search of a good 12 to 16 prime if my budget could afford it. There is a cheap 14 2.8 MF (for the Fx D800) that would fit the bill for only $429 for the version that has a Nikon focus confirm chip installed. For DX,(D7000) I will continue to use the Sigma 10-20 3.5
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000? [View all] , leonardevens Gold Member , Sat 24-Nov-12 08:02 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Should I consider getting a Nikon D7000?