Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7K in Manual Setup Questions

tekneektom

Kohler, US
2003 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D7K in Manual Setup Questions"

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Winner in the Annual Nikonians Best Images Contest 2015 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011
Sun 18-Nov-12 03:04 PM

Using the term "ASA" is a dead giveaway that you were probably brought up using a manual or mostly manual camera.

1. Set ASA/ISO - you'll find that today's digital cameras produce extremely high results at ISO up to 1600 - well beyond anything film could ever do!
2. Set either aperture(f/stop) or shutter speed depending upon desired result - depth of field, stop action, etc.
3. I suspect most people use the in-camera light meter to make adjustments. You can also go absolutely manual by using the BDE (Basic Daylight Exposure) principle - shutter speed at f/16 = inverse of ISO (if ISO is 100, then correct exposure is f/16 at 1/100th) This of course supposes direct sunlught with sun behind you. Then, you can adust for sidelighting, backighting, hazy, cloudy, etc.
4. I utilize a combo of BDE and in-camera meter and often use my old hand held analog meter.
5. Post exposure I use a Hoodman loupe to check image via lcd and set my playback to show any blownout areas of image. I don't use histogram at all. I find the loupe really assists in checking the image in bright light

Have fun - you've chosen a great camera!

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D7K in Manual Setup Questions [View all] , BillS52 Silver Member , Sat 17-Nov-12 02:03 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D7K in Manual Setup Questions