Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

dust on sensor of d7000

RLDubbya

US
553 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: dust on sensor of d7000"

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011
Sun 04-Nov-12 01:59 PM | edited Sun 04-Nov-12 02:00 PM by RLDubbya

I've had my d7000 bodies for 10 months. One body has 9500 shutter activations, the other, 4500. I haven't cleaned the sensors yet.

I try to keep a 24-70 zoom mounted on one body, and a 70-200 mounted on the other body when I'm doing only still work. Sometimes, I'll have to toss on my old kit lens which is wider, especially if I'm shooting video.

I do what I can to minimize lens changes. When I do change lenses, I make sure to do it quickly, including capping the rear element of the lens coming off.

I don't bother with a rocket blower, although I have one. Thom Hogan (bythom.com) has a nice article on sensor cleaning, and one of his observations is that use of the built in vibrate function is as good as a rocket blower for knocking dust off the sensor. I have that set to vibrate at both power off/on, and try to remember to keep the camera held horizontally as though taking a photo, so that the dust falls off properly.

I do keep canned air back in my office / studio. I use the canned air to blow off the front and rear of the lens prior / post shoot, and obviously if I see any dust, etc.

I try to keep my office / studio clean, so that there's not a lot of dust floating around where I clean the lenses. I don't know if that helps much, but...I also use an air purifier in that space, which does help to minimize dust.

I'm pretty sure (just based on a gut feeling) that if I took a picture of the sky at f22, there would be a lot of dust particles show up. I don't normally take pictures of the sky at f22, so I don't really worry about that. I'm lucky if I get to use f5.6, honestly, most of my shooting takes place indoors or in heavily shaded areas.

EDIT: I had a D5000 prior to my D7000. I had it for about 14 months, ran up 18,000 shutter activations, and never cleaned the sensor.

A general, generic topic dust on sensor of d7000 [View all] , tedt Silver Member , Sat 03-Nov-12 11:34 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: dust on sensor of d7000