Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: It's cold!"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 26-Nov-12 09:05 AM | edited Mon 26-Nov-12 08:43 PM by km6xz

It was when I landed in Krasnoyarsk, a southern Siberia city, in Jan 2001. I was invited just after New Years to visit a family I knew there. They met me at the plane with a bear coat and fur mittens, which looked sort of goofy but warm. I have camped out without a tent(tents freeze, so do not breath and sleeping expels enough breath moisture to coat the interior walls with ice, that prevents any exchange of air. A number of explorers in the early days asphyxiated while asleep in their tents exploring the arctic or northern climes), at high altitudes but never at that temperature. Camping means digging snow caves which are pretty cozy if done right, and allow for ventilation.
I spent a week, much of outdoors on that trip. They wanted to take me to see some sites and the normal way of warming the suspension and frame rail metals and fuel lines was to dump a few liters of kerosene on the ice underneath the truck and light it. Without that pre-warming, spring steel breaks easily and gasoline becomes jellied. It is common for long haul subarctic truckers to never shut off their engines until late spring time(June-July).
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic It's cold! [View all] , dentalpiano , Wed 31-Oct-12 12:41 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: It's cold!