Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is AD-lighting a Needed Feature?

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Is AD-lighting a Needed Feature?"

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Mon 22-Oct-12 06:38 PM

There are two parts to Nikon's ADL:

The first part is the "active" which in some cases may reduce exposure to protect against blown highlights. Because exposure is reduced, this "setting" is obviously present in the raw data and therefore will be part of the output file regardless of what raw converter you use. It seems, however, that this only comes into play with ADL set to high. Medium and low settings do not seem to modify exposure.

The second part is the "d-lighting" which is Nikon's name for their proprietary shadow recovery. This is a feature of raw conversion and therefore only applied if you use a Nikon raw converter. However, you can apply whatever shadow recovery tools exist in your raw converter of choice to get the result you want.

Is this feature necessary?

For serious shooting, I'm always checking the histogram, being sure to expose to the right without clipping highlights. In this case, I'll be able to do the "active" part more accurately than ADL, so in this case, I find it unnecessary and even detrimental, so I keep it turned off. I'll deal with shadows either with a custom curve or HDR during raw conversion.

For casual/snapshooting, or things like street shooting, where the moment might not present itself long enough for you to adjust exposure and pay close attention to highlights, this can be a useful feature. I keep it turned to medium in my snapshooting bank.

Despite what some others have said, this does significantly slow down the cameras I've tried it on (D300, D300s, D7000). Possibly today's cameras are faster at processing it. Because of this I don't use it to shoot birds, and it probably creates a similar problem for sports shooters.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

A general, generic topic Is AD-lighting a Needed Feature? [View all] , Bravozulu , Fri 19-Oct-12 09:47 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is AD-lighting a Needed Feature?