Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Leave ship, or stay and fight?

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Leave ship, or stay and fight?"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 19-Oct-12 03:58 PM | edited Fri 19-Oct-12 04:00 PM by km6xz

Option 1...D600 is very good but so is the D7000 and you have one. Both need good lenses so buying a D600 means getting both more lens and a $2100 camera.
Can you post an example of the sort of subject, distance, framing and light level in a typical shot you are trying to improve?
You mention a number of different focal lengths that all can be used for street but are specialized. The 85 1.8G is indeed an excellent, high performance lens but it is a telephoto on a DX body. 85 is an excellent detail or head shot, head and shoulders lens so that is the reason for the request for a post of a typical scene and perspective you are interested in.
Option 2 is the least appealing to me, getting shorter, a lot more expensive and still requires a longer lens for many scenes. I have a 17-55 and have not mounted it in 18 months, it is just not the solution for my shooting. It is fine, but not spectacular. Even on DX I much prefer the 24-70 for range and optics with very good bokeh. Sorry to say, your dream lens is not going to be noticeably better than your current lens, just a more light sensitive.

Option 3 is the best with some reservations, are you really missing the FL you need. For example for street and great isolation I go longer, like a 70-200 for getting back away from the subject and melt the background into fog even on DX. There are few distance and subject to background ratios that really give high degrees of isolation with a 55mm 2.8. The 85 1.8 or 1.4 will. An 105,will, 1 70-200, 1 180 2.8, etc will very easily. The best street lenses I use on DX are the 70-200 and 24 1.4. A used 70-200vr will be about $1300 now and will probably never go down much more. A 24 1.4 is too expensive for such a kit unless all the other needs are taken care of first.
. If you really want to get into flash, picking up any old manual slave flashes when you see them will help, and get at least one CLS compatible flash like the SB900. Once you get some practice in with multiple small flash units and light modifiers(most can be home-made, shoot, I even designed and built my own high power studio strobes), it is amazing what can be done with so little money and a bit of creativity.
Post some examples and we can give specific suggestions and how to keep the cost down

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Leave ship, or stay and fight? [View all] , jadiniz , Thu 18-Oct-12 07:34 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Leave ship, or stay and fight?