Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need advice on focus

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Need advice on focus"

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Tue 13-Nov-12 04:23 PM

Achieving focus exact focus at a distance handheld can be very difficult to say the least, but even more onerous when the bird is moving either by flight or because what he's resting on is moving. I got so frustrated when I started capturing wildlife I blamed everything including the camera, the lens and then me!

To save frustration I now usually try to get closer eliminating the large crops which, as has been said, degrades the quality greatly. Achieving the desired focus point can sometimes be frustrating and near impossible. The attached image is one of 600 taken in 1 hour and this was one of only 4 I nailed with the focus on the birds head. The conditions were perfect and although Stan has quoted the difficulty of a blue sky, worse is a cloudy white sky which will usually end up with the bird in silhouette. It just takes practice, lots of it and now I restrict most to my images to kind light and closer distance. Keep the speed high and the aperture at best f7-f9 or just either side. This applies equally to birds in flight or static.

This image shows the focus point and the camera details. Take no notice that's it a 70-200mm f2.8, I took loads of keepers with my 300 f4 and sure I would have achieved the same with my 70-300mm. Everyone here knows how I struggled with my D7000 on focus and even I sent my first copy back, although the dealer did admit it was the camera not me. The second took me 6 months to master, but when I did got some good results.

Richard

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

This is a hot, active topic! Need advice on focus [View all] , burchan Silver Member , Wed 17-Oct-12 10:00 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Need advice on focus