Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need advice on focus

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10631 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Need advice on focus"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 13-Nov-12 03:56 PM

Good point on the focus modes. The first image posted at the top of the page was Manual Focus. I found that the AF-A mode was not very useful and avoid it.

I generally find that AF-C is my preferred choice, but if you are having problems with focus, AF-S with Focus priority is okay for stationary subjects. The camera will not fire unless focus is achieved. I agree with the suggestion of single point AF for perched subjects.

My guess is the biggest issue is simply the capability of the lens. These images all look high zoomed - to 50% or more. On the D7000 with the 18-200 lens at 200mm you are beyond the limit of the gear. The D7000 at 100% has essentially the same magnification as the D800 at 100% (1000 pixels across the frame).

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

This is a hot, active topic! Need advice on focus [View all] , burchan Silver Member , Wed 17-Oct-12 10:00 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Need advice on focus