Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

"CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- ...

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3557 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- it's a good idea!"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sat 13-Oct-12 07:00 AM

I have advocated the learning tool that the hi res rear display can be. Unfortunately few people really use it as a learning tool and just use it to see if their luck held on the last shot.
I've written a number of times about the advantage of pre-visualizing the expected results before hitting the release.That way, seeing result is very effective in determining whether your expectation was correct, if not why. After a while, when the difference between imagined results and actual results converge most of the time. the usefulness of chimping goes way down. In some situations, taking time and attention away from the task at hand works against the photographer who chimps, such as in a wedding, sports or other action activity where a level of consistency is expected before even getting the assignment.
When shooting an event I do not waste the time unless someone asks me to see their image just taken. It saves battery and saves missing actions that are not likely to recur. The battery life of two batteries in the grip and body of a D7000 is really good so that is not as much of a reason not to chimp. My D800 on the other hand is hard on batteries so 50% more shots can be taken on a battery if I do not chimp.
The learning curve for a camera and photography overall is really flattened and sped up by thinking about every shot and only pulling the trigger when there is a reason to. Spending more time thinking about shots before release, will make each session a useful learning experience. Most people, however, seem to take the shots first and then try to judge whether a shot, by luck, became a keeper. That latter method firms bad habits and slows down progress.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the picture- ... [View all] , le gamin Silver Member , Sat 13-Oct-12 12:42 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: "CHIIMP"? Viewing the screen after taking the pictu...