Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display

Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US
762 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display"

Bravozulu Registered since 04th Jun 2012
Mon 08-Oct-12 01:34 AM

Ah, there were many moments when I would don the robe of D7000 High Priest and then answer a question on this forum. And usually would shoot myself in the foot.

Many of the odd, dark corners of this camera mechanism and the programming done by Nikon make understanding a treasure hunt. And more likely, a Snipe Hunt. It can seem futile at times.

Having been trained on commercial jets, especially the 747, I feel that much of the complexity is not needed. And I lay that on squarely on the shoulders of the Nikon engineers. Things aren't broken down into logical categories.

In my view, only the naming of these menus make sense:

Playback
Custom
My Menu

But the other menus don't honestly convey the contents:

Shooting
Setup

What qualifies settings for being in one rather than the other?

My original question stems from a boogeyman that haunts all complicated devices — how to present a mountain of information in a small, coherent dial or screen.

I get the impression that in some of the pro Nikon cameras, many functions are assigned to a button. Given that we own the D7000, a big improvement would have been if controls and menus were tied to workflow. As it is, I can't comprehend the logic of much of the menu structure.

The User's Manual has my respect in that, by page 18, it has you 'in the saddle and ready to ride'. You are shooting soon after. And that is the best way to master the controls.

As for the Menus? Go to the nearest church and pray.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display [View all] , Bravozulu , Sun 07-Oct-12 09:39 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Deciphering Rear LCD Info Display