Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Metering with Lens Filter Oddity

blw

Richmond, US
28713 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Metering with Lens Filter Oddity"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Wed 17-Oct-12 10:38 AM

Additionally, you will notice that one of the shots has more white area than the other - the matrix (Canon = evaluative) meter responds differently to the amount of area. Considering that the matrix is also biased by the AF target (on the presumption that whatever is in focus is probably the most important part of the scene), you really have little idea of what the meter is doing without some experience.

You would have had similar trouble if the cars had been all black - although in that case the reverse would have happened, you'd have gotten overall overexposure, but for largely the same reason.

Note that polarizers have no effect on reflections off of metal. Whether or not the paint jobs count "as metal" may depend on how much metallic content they have. These don't appear to be metallic, so the painted surfaces may have been polarized, but of course the chrome isn't going to be affected.

> I'm a bit surprised and disappointed with P mode shooting and with the unintended consequences of AF-A focus. I chose those modes because of the automation they provide.

As you are discovering, AF and metering are both pretty complex things. As soon as you give up control to the automation, you have to understand what the automation is doing. For this reason I almost never use most of the more advanced modes on the camera, because I just don't have the experience to know what they're going to do with any precision. If I really need to be sure of the result, I usually go back to spot metering, manual exposure, and at most single-point AF.

> I'm not in the habit of scrutinizing the viewfinder for camera data. Just for framing.

My advice is to start getting into that habit. Knowing what the camera is doing or about to do is very valuable info. It just takes some time and effort - and that starts with knowing why it's important.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic Metering with Lens Filter Oddity [View all] , Bravozulu , Thu 04-Oct-12 12:21 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Metering with Lens Filter Oddity