Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Metering with Lens Filter Oddity

blw

Richmond, US
28559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Metering with Lens Filter Oddity"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Mon 15-Oct-12 08:08 AM

I don't think that's particularly a matter of the CP. You can get those even without the CP, and in fact I have done so moderately often. This looks to me as if it's simply the meter being fooled. It is trying to make everything 18% grey, and particularly in #1, with the field of view dominated by white, it's going to end up underexposed. This is the same problem as shooting in brilliant snow - only a couple of the more recent matrix meters have been adapted to get that correctly.

Moreover, these are not so bad as to be unsalvageable. Just pop them into your favorite post processing and either one of them will be sorted in less than a minute.

Note that #2 probably has about as much exposure as the scene can take without blowing out the highlights. You're more worried about the shadows, which can be lifted. If you expose for the shadows, you will almost certainly blow out the front of the car. Judging by the grass, this exposure is almost optimal. #1 is definitely underexposed.

Edit: I popped #1 into Photoshop and quickly discovered that if I raised the exposure on the main image by about a stop, much of the white comes back to where you probably want it. On the other hand, before I got more than about a third of a stop up, the grill edge and some of the white paint started to blow out. By the full 1 stop up, a fair proportion of the hood is blown out. Here it is up one stop:

Click on image to view larger version

This is a tough situation. I could probably do better in Lightroom but I don't have time at the moment.
Attachment#1 (jpg file)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic Metering with Lens Filter Oddity [View all] , Bravozulu , Thu 04-Oct-12 12:21 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Metering with Lens Filter Oddity