Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 and manual focus lenses

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3574 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D7000 and manual focus lenses"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 28-Sep-12 02:17 AM

My own take on the subject of AF will get different opinions based on the subject matter. I used to love MF on film cameras because of the focusing aids were so effective like the split D or micro prizm focusing screens but AF works over a wider range of light levels and with moving objects when using wide aperatures.
A 1.4 lens wide open, like the 85mm is not very easy to nail focus wide open in low light manually.
On the other hand the attraction to MF is certainly there, it requires slowing down and thinking about the shot and focus that results in probably a lower shot count but higher keeper rate.
I recently bought a new(yes, Nikon still makes them) 50 1.2 and shooting wide open is the main reason of that lens's existance. It is a snap on tripod but a challenge handheld for portraits without the ground glass focusing screen. I love it however and it has produced some very nice images despite a very low shot count. MF is definitely a tool in the photography skill set that has some benefits.
As you mention, a wider lenses set to hyperfocus distance, stopped down is easiest of all. But open the aperature and AF becomes more effective for general casual shooting.
I hope your post encourages people who got into photography later, who never attempted MF, to try it, because there are some creative benefits to developing an eye for focus that comes from MF experience.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D7000 and manual focus lenses [View all] , kshapero Gold Member , Thu 27-Sep-12 01:42 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D7000 and manual focus lenses