Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 and manual focus lenses

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: D7000 and manual focus lenses"

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Thu 27-Sep-12 05:53 PM

I can think of a few issues you might have, not all related to focus:

- Because the D7000's sensor is smaller than 35mm film, this will give the effect of cropping your images, or causing you to need to reach for a wider lens than your instincts might tell you. The obvious workaround is get a D600 instead but maybe the ship has already sailed on that.

- The aforementioned smaller sensor also means a smaller image in the viewfinder, which will make MF accuracy more difficult.

- The focusing screens in today's AF cameras are optimized for AF and don't have the focus aides like split-prisms that you're accustomed to from your MF film cameras. You can remedy this by installing a Katz Eye focusing screen, however this may affect the camera's meter.

- On the plus side, the camera's LiveView feature allows you to zoom in on the image read directly from the sensor in real time, which allows you to set focus as accurately as using a loupe on the ground glass of a view camera. This is only reasonable to do from a tripod however.

For my shooting, which is mostly fast-moving birds in flight and slow-moving landscapes from a tripod, I'd be lost without good AF for the former, but primarily use MF in conjunction with LiveView for the latter. Depending on what you shoot (if you choose to shoot some fast-moving action) you may find some serious advantage to AF. If you can however take your time, and work from a tripod using LiveView, then MF is actually the most accurate and consistent focus method.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

A general, generic topic D7000 and manual focus lenses [View all] , kshapero Gold Member , Thu 27-Sep-12 01:42 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D7000 and manual focus lenses