Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Metering versus ISO

roofwalker

Lima, PE
6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Metering versus ISO"

roofwalker Registered since 19th Sep 2012
Mon 24-Sep-12 11:29 PM | edited Tue 25-Sep-12 01:19 AM by roofwalker

Jerry,

Some suggestion I am sure will help you:

a) I want to underline "take your pics in raw format" as suggested in the thread. The recovery of this situation in any tool is much more easy and with a larger range of possibilities using raw format tha with JPG, you will be amazed.

b) Try CNX2 with raw format. When I bought my first Nikon DSLR (D80), by looking the JPGs I was convinced I was wasted my money until I just open a raw picture with CNX2. With CNX2 and Nikon raw pictures, the only irreversible settings in your camera are focal length, aperture, and exposure time, everything else can be easily changed in PP. Use this link "http://nikonimglib.com/cnx2/" to download a trial version and see what happen. For a case like the one in your OP just move one slider in CNX2: "Shadow Protection" in the "Quick Fix" control.

b) Regarding dynamic range, take your pics using ISO 100 while you can (as in this situation). Using ISO 200 your picture has lost almost one stop of dynamic range! You can check the correlation between ISO and dynamic range in this place: "http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Nikon/D7000#measuretabs-3".

c) If you are using JPEG format after all: When facing HDR lighting, use the "Neutral" Picture control mode. Looking the exif data in your picture I can see it was taken with the "Standard" mode. But beside the Neutral mode, the other controls, to give you more contrast and a punchy picture, they will eat the detail in the shadows leaving you with less dynamic range. Please check the info about Picture Controls in "http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/14". Your picture has lost around one stop in the shadows by using Standard instead Neutral. Considering this and (b) your picture has lost around 2 stops total. If you don't like the general result with Neutral mode consider Dave's suggestion in the post #21, and/or a later post processing at your taste when necessary -for example- using curves with a shape similar to those shown in the previous link. Please notice this: with raw pictures and CNX2 you won't care what picture control was set in your camera when you took the picture, you can change it later in CNX2.

Oscar.

This is a hot, active topic! Metering versus ISO [View all] , J_Harris Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Awarded for his contribution to the Nikonians Articles section , Fri 21-Sep-12 06:37 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Metering versus ISO