Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D7000 Nightmare

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon D7000 Nightmare"

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Tue 18-Dec-12 12:42 PM

>Dust is not a repair issue the exact same way
>dirty windshields on new cars are not warranty issues. But
>many dealers will clean them for customers just to be nice.

That's a pretty good analogy. Where the cases differ for most people is that cleaning a windshield is much less daunting than cleaning a DSLR sensor. Also, no car manufacturer recommends against cleaning the windshield yourself. If cleaning the DSLR sensor were as easy and risk-free as cleaning a windshield, we wouldn't be seeing people treating it as a defect. Which, I agree, it is not. It is an artifact of the technology we are using, and the benefits of that technology so much outweigh this annoyance that we live with it.

We have seen manufacturers try to address this issue with vibrating sensors. That's a useful but not complete solution. If/when a manufacturer comes up with a system that fully resolves the problem, it will be a huge win for them. (I have no idea what such a solution might look like.)

>Some time in the recent past, normal maintenance, for some
>people, has been redefined as a defect or the manufacturers
>fault.

Except that according to Nikon, this is not "normal maintenance." You can hardly blame people for feeling they shouldn't have to do something themselves when Nikon has told them explicitly not to do it! (Nikon says: "To properly and thoroughly clean the lower pass filter, have it cleaned by an authorized Nikon Authorized Service Center.") Nikon has chosen to act as though the dust problem is so infrequent as to be negligible. If you complain about it loudly enough, they may clean your sensor for you for free, but that's not guaranteed, and they do not support you cleaning it yourself.

Perhaps the better automotive analogy is an oil change. While you can do it yourself and many do, most people take their car to a shop to have it done. The difference is that people understand and accept the need for it, and it is made explicit right in the owner's manual. It would be less of an issue if the camera manufacturers did treat sensor cleaning as an issue of routine maintenance and if it were more convenient to have done. (Most of us don't live within drop-off distance of a Nikon service bureau.)

I clean my sensors myself, but I understand why the less technically inclined balk at reaching into their expensive camera to perform a procedure that the manufacturer frowns upon.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! Nikon D7000 Nightmare [View all] , hamjam Silver Member , Sun 15-Jul-12 04:37 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D7000 Nightmare