Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 arrived in Switzerland

elec164

US
2578 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D7000 arrived in Sitzerland"

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Sat 06-Nov-10 03:25 PM | edited Sat 06-Nov-10 07:04 PM by elec164

>I find this very important to judge image sharpness
>quickly in the field. I don't like to fiddle with the +/-
>loupe as you may enlarge beyond 100% where fotos are rendered
>unsharp anyway.

As already stated it appears that feature was not included on the D7000, but it certainly seems like it would be a convenient feature. Especially the description in the D300 manual stating that it centers the zoom on the active focus point. But it really does not say what the low, medium and high zoom would equate to. And never having used such a feature I cannot say what would appear on the screen..

But I did participate in a discussion over in the D70/D80/D90 forum about the LCD screen resolution and zoom equivalent. But quite frankly Nikon’s specifications do not make it easy to calculate what the screen resolution is. They give the screen specs as “dots”. But LCD screens are made up of RGB segments which are rectangles (three times high as wide) and not round dots. And it takes at least three segments to simulate a pixel or you could say it represents 9 dots. So what does Nikon mean by dots (9 simulated dots, 3 LCD segments or actual pixels).

After a bit of testing of my lowly D80 it appeared that full zoom was about 100% view (one screen pixel equaled on image pixel). So I would think that all the DSLR’s would provide a similar zoom but different amount of the image shown due to difference in screen size and image pixel dimension. And a quick check of the specs of a few different models seems to indicate that full zoom would indeed be about 100% view.

So it would then come down to what the low, medium and high magnification setting of the center button choice represented. And it appears to me that the only way of knowing would be to do the testing of what the setting showed. So it appears to me that the high magnification at most may have been approximately 100% view, or possible something slightly less then 100%.

Pete

Edited to add:

After having more time to go over the calculations it seems my assumption may have been off. While the D80 indeed only provide max 100% view, it appears cameras such as the D90 and D300 may offer about 225% view at maximum zoom. Again if one is so inclined it is not to difficult to determine it if one has the camera in hand and the image in a photo editor.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D7000 arrived in Switzerland [View all] , aerobat , Thu 04-Nov-10 09:33 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D7000 arrived in Sitzerland