Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Any image quality comparisons to D300 yet?

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Need help understanding and deciding (Was: image quality comparisons to D300?)"

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 30-Oct-10 11:53 AM

Hi Zevi,

There are test images out there at Imaging Resources taken under controlled conditions that seem to indicate the D7000 excuse my expression kills the D300 as ISOs increase. My camera arrives this week so I can't say from personal experience yet but based on IQ alone I expect my D7000 to easily replace my D300.

There still seem a few die-hards out there (I was just reading a thread at Naturescapes) unwilling to accept this and claiming D300 retains more detail at high ISO. Nevertheless based on your excellent description of where the D80 was limiting you, I think yes it is a no-brainer D7000 for you! You will of course have to make the decision

Either way moving from the D80 having 35 or 51 points is going to be an improvement. Realistically it's going to take me at least a month to evaluate AF in the field. Since I plan to also get the D400 it is no risk for me to "make do" with the D7000 AF.

I think the better question for you is D7000 or D400.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

A general, generic topic Any image quality comparisons to D300 yet? [View all] , jerry r , Wed 27-Oct-10 02:50 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Any image quality comparisons to D300 yet?
Reply message Need help understanding and deciding (Was: image qualit...
Reply message RE: focus points.
Reply message RE: Need help understanding and deciding (Was: image qu...