Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Any image quality comparisons to D300 yet?

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Need help understanding and deciding (Was: image quality comparisons to D300?)"

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sat 30-Oct-10 09:26 AM

There are at least a couple of ways in which having more AF points, such as the systems in the D300 and D7000, is advantageous...

First, with a static subject that you wish to place off-centre in the frame, more AF points give you more flexibility to choose the point that is exactly on the part of the subject you with to focus on.

Second, with a subject that you want to track as it moves around the frame, having more points makes it easier for the camera to keep the subject in focus. With something like a D80, it's easy for the subject to "get lost" between the more widely-spaced AF points.

However, there is a slight downside - with a greater number AF points the camera processor has more to do and this can sometimes result in missing focus with a fast-moving subject. With my D700 and D300, I always choose the AF pattern with the fewest active points that I am confident of keeping on my subject - that's usually 9, sometimes 21, rarely all 51.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

A general, generic topic Any image quality comparisons to D300 yet? [View all] , jerry r , Wed 27-Oct-10 02:50 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Any image quality comparisons to D300 yet?
Reply message Need help understanding and deciding (Was: image qualit...
Reply message RE: focus points.
Reply message RE: Need help understanding and deciding (Was: image qu...