Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View

blw

Richmond, US
28578 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Fri 17-May-13 11:30 AM

AF using LiveView is a different mechanism than AF in the viewfinder. LV uses the main imaging sensor while the viewfinder has dedicated sensors; I forget whether they are in the mirror box or around the pentaprism but they're not the main imaging sensor and they do use the image as placed on the focusing screen. It is *possible* that something is out of alignment with the focusing screen (or even less likely, with the AF sensor), which would create a situation in which LV is able to AF correctly but the VF is not.

However, I'd do some more testing before you conclude that this is the case. Nikon make literally millions of these cameras and the main mechanism is VERY accurate so it is NOT normal. In particular, test this with a tripod. In this case, it's best to do this outdoors in bright light, although it doesn't need to be full noontime on a cloudless day. Use a strong contrast target that's flat and parallel to the camera's sensor. Manually defocus the image before each shot, then AF and take the shot.

It is reasonable to state that the problem is NOT that the camera is in auto mode, and it's certainly not that the 18-55 lens is "no good." The 18-55 is not built terribly solidly, but if it's not physically broken, it punches WAY above its weight. I have half a dozen of the highly touted lenses and I still am willing to use the 18-55VR - it may not quite match the capability of the $2000 lenses, but it's certainly not embarrassed. Besides, in this case, it's the same lens that's taking the shots focused with LV.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View [View all] , daveyoung , Mon 13-May-13 10:44 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D3200 focus - Viewfinder vs Live View