Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D5000 and SB-24 internal flash still tries to open

MEMcD

US
31583 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D5000 and SB-24 internal flash still tries to open"

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 19-Jan-10 04:26 AM

Hi Brian,

I have always counted on what I leaned using Manual flash with a Honeywell Strobonar and then Vivitar 283's with my F2 series bodies way back when.
Shooting in Manual exposure mode with the flash in Auto mode the results should be much more predictable than shooting in Aperture priority mode. In Manual exposure mode you are using the flash to provide the required power for a correct exposure. In Aperture priority mode the camera's meter is basing the exposure on the ambient light without regard for the flash and the flash is providing additional light based on the light reflected off of the subject. Two seporate systems that are not working together but each on its own. Therefore the possibility of overexposure is more acute.
This can be countered by adding some exposure compensation in the camera.

Without knowing the experience level of the Poster I think it is better to provide the "old school" answer than have the user encounter problems down the road based on settings that may not work in all conditions and not understand what the problem is.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

A general, generic topic D5000 and SB-24 internal flash still tries to open [View all] , deathwaits , Fri 02-Oct-09 03:07 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D5000 and SB-24 internal flash still tries to open