Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Flash / No Flash Question

s1p

US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Flash / No Flash Question"

s1p Registered since 18th Sep 2012
Wed 19-Sep-12 12:48 PM

Len, thanks for the reply! The Sunpak DF3000N (Search B&H Photo) is a 'Idiot flash' - no controls at all on it, except for power, fully auto TTL settings:) We do mostly studio work with wireless triggers, so a 'flash' isn't a biggie for us at the moment since we're still on the fence with this camera.

The problem I'm having is when I turn the flash OFF (by the flash's power switch) and it's still attached to the camera, (and the pop-up flash is closed) the camera doesn't see that I turned the flash off and still has the 'will flash' icon on the display. By turning the flash off and the camera expecting it to fire, it doesn't allow a photo to be taken.

In studio, with the wireless trigger attached instead of a flash, I have to physically remove the trigger since the camera doesn't have a 'no-flash' setting, if I don't want it to fire.

Any mode, P/S/A/M - if I have either the flash or the trigger attached, if I remove it and the camera is expecting it to flash because of low-light, I get locked out. Make's it really hard to do dark shots.

Now, on the other hand, not comparing apples to oranges, with any of the Sony Alpha's, I set shutter speed and aperture, tell it no-flash and start shooting.

Ive spent more time trying to figure out what's going on with the D5100 and the flash issue then I really wanted to. Why can't nikon just give us a 'no-flash' option in the settings and be done with it :) LOL

A general, generic topic Flash / No Flash Question [View all] , s1p , Tue 18-Sep-12 01:39 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Flash / No Flash Question