Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D5100 as an unobtrusive travel camera?

Covey22

US
11756 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D5100 as an unobtrusive travel camera?"

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter Member
Wed 15-Aug-12 06:45 PM

Gene,

At the end of the day, is the reduced bulk of a 3200 (I have a 3100, similar footprint) really going to meet your requirement of an "unobtrusive travel camera?" Granted, it's smaller, but it still occupies more weight than I like, and even with a collection of lenses, it still requires me to use a holster case that sticks out. Compare the Nikon 1 to the D3100 in my above post. Then look at my review gallery. I think it will raise some more interesting questions for you about what it really means to size down. SLRs are still SLRs, even with the smaller bodies (I use a D300 for my main body and previously moved from D1s and D2Hs). To me, I can lose the VF as long as I don't sacrifice AF performance, imaging quality and the ability to switch to different focal lengths without compromising using a superzoom. The J1 fits those items to a T.

This is a hot, active topic! D5100 as an unobtrusive travel camera? [View all] , Nikon32250 Silver Member , Mon 23-Jul-12 10:34 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D5100 as an unobtrusive travel camera?