Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

d3000 & autofocus on sigma lens

thosmm

Spring Hill, US
77 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: which Nikon to buy?"

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009
Thu 10-Sep-09 07:54 PM

I know that folks who own older non AF-S lenses will have a different viewpoint, but the 'limitation' in lenses just means that you'll be using a newer lens instead of a 2 or 3 generation old lens. I may have missed one or two, but I don't see any recently released (1-2 years) Nikon, Sigma or Tamron lens that won't auto focus with a D40-D5000 camera. All of these companies have lenses that are older than AF-S that are still available as part of their product line; but that's really an artifact of the photography industry not being really up to speed with the rate of technological change.

In film camera days, a lens would be usable with a line of cameras for 20-50 years. Early manual focus lenses will work in fully manual mode on the newest film lenses. Even early Nikon F-mount manual lenses will work with Nikon digital cameras.

Nikon, unlike the -C- company, has never intentionally obsoleted their lenses. That has led to a somewhat skewed view that if you can't handle screw focus lenses that the camera is somehow inferior.

In attempting to respond to a market that is relentlessly driving features to lower price points, Nikon has chosen to separate their AF motors from the camera itself.

This is a trend that will continue. The only situation where it will cost more for a lens for a D40 is that you can't choose from 30+ years of AF lenses. You'll have to stick with newer AF-S (and compatible) lenses.

-TM-

Visit My webpage and gallery..

A general, generic topic d3000 & autofocus on sigma lens [View all] , heyhey , Mon 31-Aug-09 06:27 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: d3000 & autofocus on sigma lens
     Reply message which Nikon to buy?
          Reply message RE: which Nikon to buy?