Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Can an IR Filter Damage my D5000 without converting?

Ruahrc

Ann Arbor, US
1267 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Can an IR Filter Damage my D5000 without converting?"

Ruahrc Registered since 08th Jul 2007
Wed 12-Aug-09 11:14 PM

putting an IR filter on the front of the lens without converting the camera will not damage the camera, although it will prevent imaging of any kind as well until the filter is removed.

DSLRs have an IR-blocking filter right in front of the camera sensor to prevent IR from degrading visible light images. The conversion process removes this filter thus allowing IR wavelengths to be captured by the sensor.

By putting the IR filter on your lens (which blocks all light except IR), you have cut out all the visible light from entering the lens. The IR light that does make it through the filter, however, is stopped by the IR blocking filter on the sensor. Thus, no light at all is reaching the sensor and your images will be black. That is why the remote test did not work- the IR emitted by the remote is still being blocked by the filter on the sensor, hence the need for conversion.

Hope this makes sense

Norman

Some of my pictures

A topic tagged as in need of help Can an IR Filter Damage my D5000 without converting? [View all] , ionphoenix , Wed 12-Aug-09 07:16 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Can an IR Filter Damage my D5000 without converting...