Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Ready to move up from the kit lenses (D5000)

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Ready to move up from the kit lenses (D5000)"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Wed 17-Feb-10 02:11 AM

Helping the economy of Japan and China is a nice gesture but not likely to help much at home. The margin in cameras to stores now is quite low so not much of the sales price stays in the community.

The macro and longer telephoto for wildlife are going to help someones economy, a lens longer than the 70-300 will likely cost 3-12 times as much as your camera. A lower cost alternative to the expensive pro Nikkor lenses might be a Sigma 50-500 "BigMa" which offers a very wide range that would be useful for wildlife and relative close ups and all in between. It is heavy at 4 lbs however. For long wilderness treks, a sling style strap like the Black Rapid RS-5 would be very highly recommended to save your neck and back.
Another option would be to upgrade in lens quality to the 70-200vr 2.8 ver II and add a teleconverted when needed. A 70-200 with the new TC2 III would give a range out to 400mm with image quality better than the Bigma and your 70-300, plus would be useful for sharp images at the wider end. I use my 70-200vr primarily for candid portraits.

Any macro worthy of the name will be sharper than you need, that is the nature of that style of lens so even low cost 3rd party lenses would give excellent service. But I suspect what is needed is not a macro but a proper lighting setup for jewelry. Build a translucent Light Tent and use a few light sources around its exterior. White rip-stop nylon covering a wire frame to make a tent large enough for your products with a shooting opening can give professional looking product images for ads without the harsh shadows direct lighting gives. The lenses you have now will work fine. A whole table top product photo studio can be build for $15 in materials.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Ready to move up from the kit lenses (D5000) [View all] , nateccnn , Sat 13-Feb-10 07:05 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ready to move up from the kit lenses (D5000)