Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is this camera good for concert photos?

alanbreck

US
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Is this camera good for concert photos?"

alanbreck Registered since 29th Dec 2009
Wed 30-Dec-09 12:56 PM

I have shot a few events with my D5000, and it is definitely up to the task. As others have stated here, it's all about the lens. Here are two examples:

a kids play: http://www.jimrosengarth.com/?page=albumhome&id=9

battle of the bands: http://www.jimrosengarth.com/?page=albumhome&id=19

Both are stage events and both had what you would expect for stage lighting. The kids play was held in a church where lighting was less than optimal. I shot both with the Nikkor AF-S DX 17-55mm f/2.8. I used to have the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, but the pictures it took weren't worth looking at (I am a perfectionist though). You have to spend money on good glass to get good pictures, but it all depends on what you are willing to put up with. Pro lenses (constant f/2.8) give pro results if you know how to use the camera, the downside being they are expensive. I got a used copy of this lens for $800, and that's about half what it would cost new.

Good luck with your photography!

jimrosengarth.com

A topic tagged as having a question Is this camera good for concert photos? [View all] , april1965 , Tue 29-Dec-09 12:47 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is this camera good for concert photos?