Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D5000 "PRE" White Balance (how to use...)

MEMcD

US
31600 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon D5000 "PRE" White Balance (how to use...)"

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 15-Dec-09 08:02 PM

Hi Mikel,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>Is it absolutely necessary to perform my "PRE" White Balance test with the filter off (I read it has a blue tint but...)

If you are going to use the filter when you shoot, then Pre-set the WB with the filter On.
If you are going to shoot without the filter, then Pre-set the WB with the filter Off.

>Is it okay to not use a lens hood to do the "PRE" test? (I don't have one and should I get one and why?

Yes! I use an Expodisc to pre-set the WB and a hood gets in the way.
If you are using a gray card I would use a hood on the lens.
I would recommend using a lens hood all the time. I do.
1. A lens hood will reduce the possibility of flare and ghosting.
2. A lens hood adds a layer of protection between the front element of the lens and your surroundings.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

A topic tagged as having a question Nikon D5000 "PRE" White Balance (how to use...) [View all] , Michael_D5000 , Tue 15-Dec-09 06:44 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D5000 "PRE" White Balance (how to use...)