Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

The Mariott Hotel on Harbour Island Fl.

DWGimages

Carmichael, US
6143 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: The Mariott Hotel on Harbour Island Fl."

DWGimages Gold Member Awarded for his skills and knowledge in various areas, including Nude Photography Nikonian since 02nd Sep 2003
Fri 04-Mar-11 04:26 PM

Nice one! But I do have 3 small issues that, if possible to correct, would improve the overall results.

1). The angle of both the building and the light post throw off my balance. I get an uneasy feeling when looking at this. The light post, so close to the edge of the image, is quite obvious and more a distraction than a "real problem". The building, however, has the feeling like it's leaning back away from me - like it's avoiding me. That creates a very uneasy feeling in me at least. Off balance.

2). Regarding the light post again: The globes appear underexposed and dull looking. I'd try to pop those out a bit with some dodging: not so much to make them glow, but at least appear whiter.

3). Similarly to the light post, the building seems to be dulled by some underexposure. It appears to be in direct sunlight, however, there is no POP in the colors.

Now that I have analyzed this more, I'd combine #2 and #2 together and say the entire image could use just a little more brightness. I see the water and sky now are subdued as well as the globes and the building. I wonder if you could bump up the brightness a bit without adverse reactions happening elsewhere. I appears that you have some latitude in exposure - so it couldn't hurt trying.

Otherwise - I do like the general composition (less the leaning) and HDR technique. Well done.

Dave

"You, you and you … Panic. The rest of you, come with me."
~U.S. Marine Corps Gunnery Sgt.~

** The Moderators Page ~ My Nikonians Gallery ~ My Web Site ~ Sacramento, CA Area Chapter Gallery **

A general, generic topic The Mariott Hotel on Harbour Island Fl. [View all] , massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest , Mon 28-Feb-11 09:26 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: The Mariott Hotel on Harbour Island Fl.