Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Landscape Photography

The Long Ranger

US
301 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Landscape Photography"

The Long Ranger Registered since 25th Aug 2007
Thu 03-Jul-08 04:32 PM

Hi Gang...

The PodcastMaster, Rick, has hit the proverbial nail squarely on the head with his assessment of the D200 and D700 being ideal stablemates.

Having a D2Xs and two D300's, my primary "focus" is on long telephotos for wildlife photography...my passion...for which the DX format excels.

By the end of July, I was planning on springing for a D3 but, now, with this news, the D700 should be just what I need for "general" photography...whatever that all entails...

On the wide angle front, the relatively new Tokina DX 11-16 f/2.8 is looking to be very interesting stopped down to f/4 and beyond, and it makes me wonder whether an FX body really is necessary...for all intents and purposes.

The "anal-ysts" suggest you need to have full frame based on the numbers, however, I'm not sure an 8.5x11 or 13x19 print would agree. I mean in prints of that size, can the viewer really "see" the difference? Or, is the benefit, or improvement essentially invisible to the human eye? I don't know but I have a hunch my soon to be 64 y.o. eyes would be hard pressed to see any differences or improvements of FX over DX...Dynamic Range notwithstanding...

Well, just some rambling thoughts I wanted to share and ALL best wishes to ALL for a GREAT 4th of July weekend...

Dick
The Long Ranger
A Telephoto Lovin' Nikonian

"There are none so blind as those who would not see..."

This is a hot, active topic! Landscape Photography [View all] , RWCooper Silver Member , Tue 01-Jul-08 02:32 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Landscape Photography