Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why "just" 95% would be a bad thing?

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4132 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Why "just" 95% would be a bad thing?"

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Fri 18-Jul-08 11:06 PM | edited Fri 18-Jul-08 11:07 PM by gpoole

Frankly IMHO the worst decision Nikon have made with the D700 is to incorporate the on-camera flash. Not because the flash is a bad idea, quite the opposite there are a number of advantages. But the reason it's a bad idea is because they've had to trade off the 100% viewfinder and settle for a 95% viewfinder. Now even that isn't really bad at all but it's being picked over like a three week old corpse on this forum as a HUGE problem.

To me the ability to have a built in CLS commander with the built in flash instead of having to buy another SB-800 or an SU-800 outweighs the viewfinder area loss.

For those instances that 100% view is critical Live View works great. If I'm framing so carefully that the 95% is a problem my camera would be tripod mounted and I would be working slowly enough that Live View would not be a handicap.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

A general, generic topic Why "just" 95% would be a bad thing? [View all] , cayzi , Wed 09-Jul-08 05:01 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Why "just" 95% would be a bad thing?
Reply message RE: 95% similar thread
Reply message RE: Bjørn 90% viewfinder coverage
     Reply message RE: 95% vs. 90% math
          Reply message RE: 95% vs. 90% math
          Reply message D700 95% - sensor cleaning module, not the flash