Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

DOF difference between DX & FX

Budi

1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: DOF difference between DX & FX"

Budi Registered since 03rd Jun 2006
Tue 08-Jul-08 02:00 PM

As I understand it (I shoot a D3 and a D200), if the angle of view and aperture remains the same between the two cameras, the dof difference is negligible. If I'm taking a picture of a person filling the entire frame with her face, I'll need a longer lens or move towards the subject with the D3, and conversely, I would need a shorter lens or move away from the subject with the D300. Since the objective here is to frame her face, there will be a difference in focal length and/or distance from subject. If we are enforcing a constant distance to subject, as well as focal length, in addition to aperture, then dof differences will be apparent.

I'm doing a really poor job of explaining it. Bjorn does a far better job than I can ever dream of doing. He even has pictures to back it up.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/D3/D3_rev06.html

In summary, for me, I'll just pick up a camera and shoot. I never seem to get tripped up with the different formats when I shoot.

-budi
http://ignitecreative.com/photography

A general, generic topic DOF difference between DX & FX [View all] , BCinDC , Sun 06-Jul-08 11:17 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: DOF difference between DX & FX
                    Reply message RE: DOF difference negligible?