Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

DOF difference between DX & FX

BCinDC

Sterling, US
179 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: DOF difference between DX & FX"

BCinDC Registered since 01st Nov 2007
Tue 08-Jul-08 01:46 PM

That's a good article. The article I posted previously gives a more technical explanation, that is also interesting, but the DOFMaster is an interesting and more intuitive approach. I had not thought about there being two components to the difference: crop factor and subject distance.

Since an FX camera isn't in my near future, this isn't immediately applicable to me. However, I did learn something that had never occurred to me before that will be: adding a TC decreases depth of field. I had always assumed that the increase in f-stop offset the additional focal length, but that isn't true. I still have about one stop less DOF when adding a TC.

Bob

"Something really clever or profound should go here...I have nothing "

A general, generic topic DOF difference between DX & FX [View all] , BCinDC , Sun 06-Jul-08 11:17 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: DOF difference between DX & FX
                    Reply message RE: DOF difference negligible?