Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7071 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: WB"

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Mon 12-Aug-13 08:11 PM

Until recently, I have mostly used the presets of sunny, cloudy, etc. I got into this habit back with my D200. The problem normally was one of changing light conditions. Over the last few months I have been using auto-WB in the changing conditions and been quite happy with it. However, auto-WB does have a limited range to it; from Thom Hogan's D700 book:

Nikon claims that this function works at any color temperature between 3500K and 8000K. Note that most indoor lighting falls below that range! Moreover, my experience tell me that the D700 gets less accurate towards the extremes. I'd say the most accurate range is much narrower, perhaps 4000 to 6200K.

Almost of the time, I have something white in the frame. While not necessarily planned that way, I am pretty sure that this helps with the accuracy of the camera's WB guessing.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

A general, generic topic WB [View all] , expat Silver Member , Sun 11-Aug-13 05:00 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: WB