Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Senso...

HHargitt

Maple Ridge, CA
539 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Sensor that Is)"

HHargitt Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 19th Jan 2010
Fri 12-Jul-13 09:31 PM

If you're really worried about damaging the sensor, you could always do what I did. I have an old D50 that I use as my high risk body, I used it to practice on. I purchased a cleaning kit complete with a dozen swabs and then cleaned the sensor weekly until I felt confident enough to clean my D700 and D300s. I don't think I spent more than a month cleaning the D50 before moving on, now I feel comfortable cleaning all my bodies. Now that I can clean my own bodies for less than $10 in supplies I tend to clean as soon as I see a spot on the sensor that will not blow off with my rocket blower. I've always wondered what the risk to cleaning infrequently, and putting up with a couple of spots until there was a big enough mess to warrant cleaning. I think that having something stuck to the sensor for a prolonged period of time might give it the opportunity to weld itself to the sensor.
Now that I carry cleaning gear with me, I worry less about changing lenses and more about the best setup for the shot. I should also mention that a lit sensor loupe or magnifying lamp (I have one for fly-tying) is a great help.

Happy cleaning,

Will shoot for fame...fun...food... a heck I'll shoot anytime anywhere.

A general, generic topic To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Senso... [View all] , DinoCardelli , Tue 09-Jul-13 08:25 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (S...