Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Focus variation at varied distance?

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10538 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Focus variation at varied distance?"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Mon 15-Jul-13 10:39 PM

Before you sacrifice ISO to increase DOF, be realistic in terms of expectations. With small distant moving subjects, AF is challenging takes practice. Even with the newer AF system of the D4/D800, and a larger subject, 65% success is reasonable.

I've recently used the 300 f/4 and D800E for photos of gulls and pelagic birds on the ocean. AF success is remarkably low even and the misses are large enough that a stop or two more in DOF won't matter.

Do keep the shutter speed high - 1/1000 sec or more. I'd suggest an aperture slightly stopped down - but not beyond f/5.6. Use the center AF sensor only. Try to track and follow the subject if its flying. Otherwise consider other tools and techniques to increase stability.

I think the issue is practice - and get closer.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic Focus variation at varied distance? [View all] , glxman Moderator Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife & Landscape Photography , Tue 09-Jul-13 09:47 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Focus variation at varied distance?