Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Focusing issue....

elec164

US
2598 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Focusing issue...."

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Wed 26-Jun-13 04:40 PM

Personally I find the lens evaluations at slrgear.com useful. Using their interactive blur index chart seems to give a good idea of how the lens performs at various f-stops and focal lengths.

According to their review, that lens should perform very well from f/4 to f/11.

That aside I would ask how you are evaluating for sharpness. Reason being is that at f/8 the projected diffraction spot size is around 10 microns. With an 8x12 print there is about 8.5x enlargement making the diffraction spot about 85 microns which is under the average eye sight resolution. But at 100% view on a monitor with a resolution of 93 PPI it results in about a 32x enlargement making the diffraction spot size 320 microns or well above the average eyesight resolution. So an 8x12 print at average viewing distance and eyesight the focus plane should look fairly sharp. But on a monitor at 100% view I would think you will start to see the effects of diffraction.

At least I hope I calculated all this correctly.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Focusing issue.... [View all] , portrayal22 , Wed 26-Jun-13 11:57 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Focusing issue....