Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 - To FX or not to FX - DX is the question!

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3384 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D700 - To FX or not to FX - DX is the question!"

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Tue 25-Jun-13 01:19 PM | edited Tue 25-Jun-13 01:22 PM by ajdooley

Andy -- Don't get tangled up with the memory card issue concerning the D800. I recently added a D800 to my existing family of two D700 bodies and am using the same CF cards I used in my D700s. The only problem is that an 8gb card holds only 90 14-bit RAW + a medium JPG versus the 250 such captures I get on the D700. But there is NO requirement even to install an SD card. Maybe I will acquire some in the future, but I am using the D800 daily in my business with 8gb and recently, 32gb compact flash cards and an empty SD slot. The other questions you have to answer first are what you plan or hope to get from an FX camera and whether your finances will support those goals. Someone else in another thread recently noted (a) that existing cameras don't suddenly start taking bad pictures when a new version is released, and (b) it is easy to blame the tools for bad carpentry. The issue of lenses is also germane, although if and when you can acquire top-shelf glass, it lives beyond camera bodies. Going from the D700 to the D800, I have found no need to change or add lenses. BTW, I have a friend who is pretty anal about lens quality and who is raving about the new 70-200 f4. In addition to being very, very excellent, he notes it is a lot lighter at the end of a long day.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D700 - To FX or not to FX - DX is the question! [View all] , The Shooter Silver Member , Tue 25-Jun-13 06:14 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 - To FX or not to FX - DX is the question!