Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 - To FX or not to FX - DX is the question!

Bass rock

Scotland, UK
968 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D700 - To FX or not to FX - DX is the question!"

Bass rock Registered since 21st Dec 2007
Tue 25-Jun-13 09:14 AM

Hi Andy,

I am sure many people will tell you to "go for it" - this is the D700 forum after all However, I also went from a D300 to a second-hand D700 last year, and have a note of caution. Yes, the D700 is a cracking camera, and the pictures from it are great. Not so great, perhaps, as the D800 with its extra pixels, but the D700 is just as good now as when it was released, and everyone thought it was fantastic then.

The "however" is (from my point of view) that it is noticeably heavier / bulkier than the D300, especially once you start to upgrade the DX to FX lenses and you want longer lenses to get that extra reach you get used to with DX. Also, unless you want the shallow DOF from shooting wide open on FX, I am also not sure that you will get much overall increase in IQ compared to the D300 and 17-55.

You didn't say why you are thinking to make the change to FX, and what you require from the system. I suggest you are clear about priorities, and be honest about things like limits you want on weight / costs etc.

I am actually thinking about going back to DX, because I find I prefer to carry a lighter kit.

Also when thinking about your decision, bear in mind the mythical D400 might be released later this year

Either way, they are all good cameras.

Bill
North Berwick, Scotland

My Website - https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/162875" target="_blank">My Nikonians Gallery

A general, generic topic D700 - To FX or not to FX - DX is the question! [View all] , The Shooter Silver Member , Tue 25-Jun-13 06:14 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 - To FX or not to FX - DX is the question!