Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 for large prints/graphics?

Colorado Kamaaina

US
20 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D700 for large prints/graphics?"

Colorado Kamaaina Registered since 09th May 2012
Wed 14-Aug-13 12:35 PM

Hi Bubbz,

I rarely make comments here in Nikonians. You may have already put your project to bed, but hope this helps you for future reference.

I am a graphic designer and photographer by profession and routinely shoot for and design displays from 6' indoor banner-ups to billboards. I have used both the D700 and D800 and quite honestly either is fine, but (and note I am posting this in the D700 forum)... I prefer the D700 hands down...

This won't affect you but if you have an experienced designer doing the piece, he/she will know it has everything to do with file handling. There isn't a huge quality difference between 12+ and 36+ MP in the end, simply because of the process used to output the product. A billboard file size will run into X-Gbs at only 65-85 ppi for example (unless it is vector), so why add to the storage load when you don't have to? Your 6 X 12 side panel won't be output at full rez anyway. Most vendor outputs run that size at 200 ppi max (usually 150 is more common). Larger displays are meant are to be viewed from a bit of distance. I used to use Fractals to upsize and now use OnOne's version called Perfect Resize.

Hope this helps you, now I'll go back into the shadows.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D700 for large prints/graphics? [View all] , Bubbz Silver Member , Thu 30-May-13 06:31 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 for large prints/graphics?