Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Battery pack, other than FPS, any other improvement?

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Battery pack, other than FPS, any other improvement?"

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sat 06-Apr-13 09:36 PM

>If you are using a non-AFS lens that uses the
>"screwdriver" motor in the camera, it is possible
>(but not probable) that the extra power from the grip, which
>gives the higher frame rate, might also give a little extra
>power to the focus motor. The key word here is
>"might", and even if it does you will probably not
>notice the difference.

I think this has come up before on Nikonians (and plenty of other forums. We could wish for an improvement (with some lenses) but there actually isn't any benefit.

Nikon USA and Nikon Canada tech support have previously been asked this question and both responded "absolutely not" and that there is no mechanism or programming of any kind in the camera or any Nikon lens that could modify or improve AF speed with the simply addition of a grip containing a second battery of any kind. The reason is simply that AF speed is a function, initially, of the AF sensor (which is separate and distinct from the main image sensor). According to Nikon, the power being supplied to the AF sensor is tightly controlled, and the AF sensor itself only separately triggers an interface for either the body motor or the lens motor (whichever exists or has priority). AF speed is a function of AF sensor quality, the usability of the chosen focus target, the best match of AF point vs. focus target, available light, the inherent speed of the lens gearing as it responds to the fixed rotation speed of the camera body's drive spindle or the fixed rotational speed of the lens' internal motor, and so on.

That's the original explanation Nikon provided to me a couple of years ago. I don't think anything has changed.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

A general, generic topic Battery pack, other than FPS, any other improvement? [View all] , glxman Moderator Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife & Landscape Photography , Sat 06-Apr-13 10:54 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Battery pack, other than FPS, any other improvement...