Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Battery pack, other than FPS, any other improvement?

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Battery pack, other than FPS, any other improvement?"

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sat 06-Apr-13 01:28 PM | edited Sat 06-Apr-13 01:28 PM by agitater

Using a Nikon grip containing a Nikon battery in addition to the battery in the camera body, you'll be able to get the fastest frame rate with the setting specified by Nikon.

There is no effect on autofocus speed.

The grip provides a vastly better handhold for vertical/portrait compositions, with its own shutter button, AF-ON button, and front & rear command dials. No more elbow out/bent wrist awkwardness.

A grip loaded with an AA battery tray means you can carry a load of those batteries if you're travelling to an area in which a plug-in for your regular Nikon battery charger won't be available.

The additional weight of the grip w/battery, for some people, means even more stable, more controllable, less shaky handheld shooting for people using good technique in the first place.

There is one caveat in particular, I think, that many photographers don't take into account when purchasing a grip. Basically, the shoulder bag or sling bag into which their ungripped camera and lens fit nicely might become much too tight a fit or completely unusable with an attached grip.

Nikon brand grips are expensive. They're overpriced. Some say they are outrageously priced. I agree. There are third-party grips which work well, but the materials and manufacturing quality of those grips results in a high percentage of failure, DOAs, battery drain issues and camera function problems. The third-party grips that work (do a search using Nikoscope for the relevant threads), seem to be quite good as Stan (km6xz, among others) can attest. My point is that I still recommend the expensive Nikon brand grips. They offer a better and more accurate fit and lockup with the bottom of the camera body, materials and manufacturing quality are first rate, and there are no interface or functionality problems or bugs.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

A general, generic topic Battery pack, other than FPS, any other improvement? [View all] , glxman Moderator Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife & Landscape Photography , Sat 06-Apr-13 10:54 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Battery pack, other than FPS, any other improvement...