Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: CF card speed"

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009
Wed 03-Apr-13 11:21 PM

There is no CF card that moves 1000mb/second that I know of. I think the fastest, the 1000x cards are rated for 150-160 MB/s.

The 1000x designation is based on the CD-Rom standard in which the performance of CD-ROM drives are measured in 'x' increments. 1x refers to the sustained write speed capability of 150 kilobytes per second. 150 kb/s x 1000 = 150 mb/s. although I have heard that some of these cards, like the Lexar's have hit 160 mb/s in some devices.

This is not the case in the d700. Here is Rob Galbraith's database measuring CF card write speeds in the d700. The Lexar 1000x cards top the list at about 42 mb/s. Good old and frequently on sale Sandisk Extreme's are a very competitive 38 mb/s at a much better price.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9550

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question CF card speed [View all] , petekam Silver Member , Wed 03-Apr-13 07:36 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: CF card speed
Reply message RE: CF card speed